Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The End

As I finished up my final preparations for the big move back to the big easy, I began to reflect on my unique experience this past semester. I recognized how it’s likely that no two people had the same experience, even if they went to the same school. I am excited that everyone will have something different to contribute back at school. I’m anxious to return, and even more eager to rebuild my life down there. I’m looking forward to the challenge of rebuilding our life in New Orleans, everything from reestablishing our daily routines to developing new entertainment experiences. It won’t ever be the same again. I’m cool with that.

Whether you even return to Tulane or not, there is obviously a great deal of introspect that you can take away from this semester. There are myriad ways in which we can all learn and mature from our experiences this semester.

If anything, I can tell you that I gained a great deal of introspect from operating this blog. Being able to express my emotions and read responses (even the bad) was a wonderful opportunity. On this site, there were many different types of readers. First, were the positive supporters, the wonderful people who wrote me emails and posted positive comments that provided new insight into my analysis. There were the negative supporters. These people disagreed with my analysis or my perspectives, and posted so in a respectful manner. They contributed to balancing the issues when my views were biased. Then there were the nay-sayers. These people clearly disagreed with my analysis, and also found it necessary to bring down the tone of the blog by voicing extremely negative views, many times without any foundation or warrant. There were the quiet readers. These people read the blog and never posted a thing. Some emailed me, and some never spoke a word. Then there were the worried parents- parents so apprehensive about letting their child return, that the logic on this website did nothing to change them. There were supportive (and unsupportive) alumni, who were concerned that Tulane would never be the same, in a good or bad way. And finally there were the administrators, many who didn’t admit they were reading this site. The few who did admit they were frequent readers said this site helped many of them maintain hope that the students would return and the students would care.

This site did the same for many of us; it gave us hope during a time of absolute uncertainty.

Each of these types of people helped this blog become what it was: a voice. Sometimes it was a voice for the students. Sometimes it was a voice for the parents or for the alumni. Sometimes it supported the Tulane administration. Many times is disagreed. Regardless, we created discourse. We had intelligent discussion, unintelligent discussion, and even downright fighting. Nevertheless, it was a place in which we came together under the common desire for information and emotional relief.


As I sit here, only hours away from my return to New Orleans, I reflect on my experience at USC this fall semester. I remember the good, the bad, and the indisputably difficult. I remember when we were first just evacuees in Galveston. I remember when I had a special “Tulane student orientation.” I remember when I walked into my first class. I remember unforgettable football games. I remember finals. I remember saying goodbye to my wonderful professors. I remember having a ton of fun. I remember saying I’d trade it all for a semester in New Orleans.

As I went through and read each of my posts, I reflected on my emotions at the time in which I wrote them. What a rollercoaster it has truly been.

It doesn’t matter whether you agreed or disagreed with my views. It doesn’t matter whether you believe Tulane is good or evil. We all took something positive away from our experiences this semester. We are all more intelligent, well-rounded individuals. We all share a common bond. This semester will be a time in which we will unite under this bond and we will show the world that "us Tulane students are a special breed..."

We are all a part of the Tulane family, whether you like it or not.

I wish you all the best of luck and I hope to meet every single person who read this site over the course of the semester. Don’t you dare be a stranger, I’m easy to find (AEPI/my own parties/good concerts/class from time to time).

Sincerely,

Brett Hyman

11 Comments:

Blogger TUGrad96 said...

Brett and other returning Tulane students,

I hope that all of you have a great semester at Tulane. There will be difficult times ahead for you there and life will be different from what it was before Katrina. I hope you all help make Tulane stronger. Good luck.

Brett,
I know that I have disagreed with you on many of your opinions, but I know that everyone appreciates the time you spent putting information on this blog. I hope that you are able to do what you talked about on this site. Enjoy the rest of your senior year.

7:35 AM  
Blogger meggablogger2 said...

You should check out this site! http://www.studentsresourcecenter.com

11:15 AM  
Blogger cstanton said...

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I’ll never look into your eyes...again

Can you picture what will be
So limitless and free
Desperately in need...of some...stranger’s hand
In a...desperate land

Lost in a roman...wilderness of pain
And all the children are insane
All the children are insane
Waiting for the summer rain, yeah

There’s danger on the edge of town
Ride the king’s highway, baby
Weird scenes inside the gold mine
Ride the highway west, baby

Ride the snake, ride the snake
To the lake, the ancient lake, baby
The snake is long, seven miles
Ride the snake...he’s old, and his skin is cold

The west is the best
The west is the best
Get here, and we’ll do the rest

The blue bus is callin’ us
The blue bus is callin’ us
Driver, where you taken’ us

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on
He took a face from the ancient gallery
And he walked on down the hall
He went into the room where his sister lived, and...then he
Paid a visit to his brother, and then he
He walked on down the hall, and
And he came to a door...and he looked inside
Father, yes son, I want to kill you
Mother...i want to...fuck you

C’mon baby, take a chance with us
C’mon baby, take a chance with us
C’mon baby, take a chance with us
And meet me at the back of the blue bus
Doin’ a blue rock
On a blue bus
Doin’ a blue rock
C’mon, yeah

Kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

It hurts to set you free
But you’ll never follow me
The end of laughter and soft lies
The end of nights we tried to die

This is the end

9:34 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Brett:
Don't leave us hanging. I get all of the official info from the administration - what is really going on?
Jonathan
A&S83
AEPi 79-83

11:46 AM  
Blogger katiewave said...

HELP!!

ALL LOYAL TULANIANS:

Some bitch ChiO (as if anyone ever liked them anyways) is planning some sort of walkout on Feb 14 to protest Dr. Cowen. How about that for a heartbreak on Valentines Day??!?! Nothing makes me sadder, madder, or more disappointed than these turncoats. This one in particular was very pro Tulane on this blog as well as on reality check's. WHY CHANGE YOUR MIND NOW! This is when our school needs us the most. Both Brett and President Cowen have already explained this decision and that it was in the best interests of everyone involved.

So I say, IF YOU LOVE TULANE, and LOVE SCOTT COWEN, then do not participate in the "walk out". We are STUDENTS and will GO TO CLASS AND LEARN. Learning is key, because first we OUT THINK you, then we out drink you.

True Green Tulanians should not tolerate these traitors among us.


<3
KATIE WAVE.

6:44 PM  
Blogger skypeuser21 said...

I found a cool site on credit card , check it out credit card

2:29 AM  
Blogger skypeuser21 said...

Love the blog! This is my new favorite, you took over my previous favorite site: student credit card

6:23 PM  
Blogger skypeuser21 said...

Check out this other cool site fafsa

1:01 AM  
Blogger Body Building Site said...

Hi thanks for your blog, I liked it! I also have a blog/site about Body Building that covers Body Building related stuff. Please feel free to visit.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Arlo said...

Hi Brett Hyman: I came here looking for information on coolest kid in california and found your post on The End. Although it's not quite the information I was looking for, I appreciate the chance to have a read. I'll definately be checking back in. I'm off to look for more resources for coolest kid in california. If you have any more great suggestions, please post them here and I'll come back to check. Thanks again!

2:14 AM  
Blogger Tulaneparent said...

Hey Brett,

I know I've posted my appreciation for your creating this blog. It provided news, information, photos and a connection to one another during the tough times during the storm and in the following semester.

I know you posted your "ending" message, but it would be nice for those of us parents who were readers, if you'd just do a postscript to share what the experience of being back in NOLA post Katrina has been like for you and the other students. I think it would be a nice follow up to the blog entries.

My other child has been accepted to Tulane and we'll be visiting soon. It would be interesting to know what it is like to be a student in a city that was so devastated by a natural disaster. Clearly classes have continued, but you've all endured a traumatic event together. Has that changed the way you relate to one another? Was it difficult to be in a city that has lost such a large percentage of the population? Is it true that the workforce is changing the culture there?

It would be interesting to get your current perspective.

Thanks again...

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters