Thursday, November 17, 2005

Planning for the Future

Hey all!

Sorry its been a while since I’ve posted. I have been working hard on some personal things and didn’t have the time. However, from now on, I will be back in action, as I plan to take this blog into another new direction: that of preparation for our return.

It’s time, whether you want to or not, to start thinking about going back. Most people have registered for classes for Spring. Most have at least considered Lagniappe, and many are still confused. My friends and I are already planning Spring Break!

Consequently, discussion here needs to become more real and more proactive. We need to talk about how things will look next semester, what we can do in our spare time to help out the community and what new opportunities may be out there. I’m talking with great organizations, such as New Orleans Hillel, about many of their plans. If you want to email me info on what YOUR organization is doing, I will definitely post it up on the site. In addition to planning volunteer work, I began a new business that will be planning all sorts of exciting social activities; in fact we plan to do an event every week!

Let’s begin this new transition by talking about ideas on what we all need to do to prepare for the return. I’m not saying we know all the details yet- we are still uncertain about housing, understandably so. But as I said in previous posts, Tulane will take care of us. The cruise ship idea, controversial as it is, will be beneficial to the tons of Tulane students who are displaced. And knowing Tulane students, they will do just fine. I actually think it sounds really fun.

I am looking forward to going back. I heard generally positive reviews from New Orleans. Some people were very excited at how fast things have come along, others were sad that their favorite restaurant/bar hadn’t opened (or may never open again). Nevertheless, all these people were enthusiastic about going back. Sad or happy, they all just want to get back to New Orleans- and I feel the same way.

It’s such a unique situation. I have completely adapted to being here in LA for the semester- making friends, getting involved in the school and developing a business. I certainly don’t know how I will adequately maintain this connection while I’m back at school. Regardless, I’m ready to return and experience my last semester at Tulane.

I truly can’t articulate just how much this experience has helped me gain perspective on life. I sincerely hope everyone else took away the same lessons that I have this semester.

You’ll hear from me again soon, so come on back!

Brett Hyman

14 Comments:

Blogger tillatumom said...

I spoke to my daughter yesterday. She is a junior, living off campus in a house that still has no electricity(week 3 for her). Fortunately, some of her friends do and until her landlord gets her place fixed, she can charge her batteries and shower there. She reports that the National guard is all over the place uptown (she was stopped after curfew going back to her house after visiting friends across the street) and that there aren't a lot of females around. She is still managing to find plenty to do ( a prof named Hamilton corralled her to scrape paint at an elementary school under repaired) and is looking for work (although some places are reluctant to hire students who may need to leave town for the holidays, etc).
I have authorized her to do our family's Christmas shopping in New Orleans. Streetcars aren't working, but buses are free. Weather has been nice, but it just got a little "chilly" as if 50 degrees is cold!
Go home Tulanians! you are needed there!

9:49 AM  
Blogger averyTHEdog said...

I'm too lazy to read what was written, but I went to New Orleans last week and it was fantastic. Sure a lot of the city is tore up, but it doesn't smell like poo which was what I was expecting. Sure there were lots of fridges strewn about, but most of them had clever messages such as " free gumbo inside" written on them.

5:03 PM  
Blogger jdyo said...

And don't forget about the stray cats. Lots of stray cats.

7:53 PM  
Blogger patty said...

oh goody i love cats.

8:21 PM  
Blogger brett sucks said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:13 AM  
Blogger johan said...

a question i have that has yet to be answered is... what will Tulane's new relationship (whatever that means) with Dillard and Xavier mean to us students on campus next semester? opening the campus up so these universities can hold some classes there, hmmmm, seems highly impractical and seriously asking for trouble. Or are they not speeking so much about the uptown campus? anyone have more info than we've been given in cowens letters etc?

10:13 PM  
Blogger patty said...

I don't see why you are so concerned. If it wasn't a nessesity, it wouldn't be happening. What is not practicle is holding classes in a destroyed school. Which both dillard and xaviar are dealing with. I am continually confused as to why this keeps becoming a concern. We will be helping them just as we have been helped this semester. I think a bigger concern is how well is new orleans rebuilding, what will happen if a huricane hits in the comming years, will the levies withstand another hit, and what kind of relationship we will have with the town.

10:26 PM  
Blogger tcsenior said...

i wouldn't worry too much about the xavier/dillard thing. xavier is using some of loyola's facilities. dillard is using office space at tulane's downtown (health sciences) campus, which will have no affect on uptown. while some students will be allowed to register for our classes, we have been assured that it will occur on a space-available basis, so no big deal. and hey, i don't exactly think it's going to hurt the curve...

10:59 PM  
Blogger ncgwmom said...

johan, was it asking for trouble when the college that graciously opened its doors to you and/or your fellow Tulanians this semester invited you in?

7:41 AM  
Blogger tcsenior said...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/17/AR2005111701764.html

we might be getting the clinton/bush(I) team for commencement! roll wave!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Jon Wong said...

Bush, Clinton May Team Up for Commencement

But let's not forget the newest cast of "The Odd Couple," former presidents George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton . The Disaster Twins, who've been working to help victims of the Asian tsunami and more recently those of Hurricane Katrina, are said to be looking at giving a joint commencement address next May at Tulane University in New Orleans.

8:10 PM  
Blogger johan said...

to patty and ncgwmom... i admit i am selfish, i am only willing to go so far in sacraficing my own education and college experience for others, and as i already will be and have sacraficed a good bit, and taking into account the size and nature (oh yes, i said it!) of these schools, i am quite concerned with what this new relationship will mean for us on campus. citing the schools that have accepted us tulanians with open arms (mind you some were damned reluctant to some of us, i wont name names, but some states were far from accomidating until i and others pulled some strings... :cough::georgia::cough:) is silly considering we being spread across the country make up such a small number of students being accepted to various institutions. dillard and xavier arent small schools, and therefore this new relationship COULD have a drastic affect on student life.

2:40 PM  
Blogger MM said...

Well put Johan

4:20 PM  
Blogger dream-boat said...

Fruitful blog. I favor your site and I shall
return to it! I go to sites like this when I get the
chance, and find blog just like this.
Everyday of the month you need to peep my cash advance phoenix blog.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters